Trutnov City Gallery was officially founded on January 1, 1997. House No. 38 was chosen for these activities to enrich the cultural life in the city. It is one of the most beautiful, oldest and most important buildings in Trutnov, situated on the south side of Slovanské Square near the original Lower Gate. The age of the building is not exactly known, but according to the layout and architectural elements, it is estimated to be a burgher Renaissance house from 1580 - 1590.
The Trutnov City Gallery is a professional institution focused on increasing and spreading knowledge about the current and historical art life of the region and has an indispensable place in the entire Czech art scene, mainly due to exhibitions of national significance, mostly from the 20th and 21st century artists. The gallery is the organizer of the annual exterior exhibition "Sculptures in Trutnov", which acquaints the town residents and visitors with the monumental works of contemporary authors in public areas, outside the gallery space.
First efforts to establish an institution where works of art would be exhibited appeared in Trutnov after the end of World War II. In 1949, a gallery was established, but was in operation for only a year. Afterwards, the gallery was moved to the local Trutnov museum for a long time.
Exhibition spaces of the Trutnov town hall
In 2005, the idea arose to establish a new exhibition space in the building of the Municipal Office in Trutnov, which is located in a room on the first floor before entering the so-called Great Hall. Mainly photographic exhibitions take place here.
Slovanské náměstí 38
541 01 Trutnov