Old Town Hall
Trutnov has had its own town hall since the end of the 16th century. However, in 1861 like most of the houses in the square, it caught fire and the original Renaissance building had to be rebuilt, this time in the neo-Gothic style, according to a design by F. Schmoranz. In addition, a slender tower was added to it.
During the town hall renovations in 1925, the original sgraffito decoration was discovered on its side and was restored during further reconstruction in the 1980s.
Various institutions were housed in the town hall building during the 19th and 20th centuries. There were council offices, a prison, and a police station. It was not until 1987 that this building returned to its original purpose and its representational rooms are used for ceremonial occasions.
During the Dragon Festival, at the beginning of May, a sculpture of a dragon, a symbol of the town, is ceremoniously hung on the town hall tower as a reminder of the mythical beginnings of Trutnov. It hangs here every year from spring to autumn, then it is ceremoniously taken down and stored in the Trutnov underground, where it waits for its re-lifting.
"The Scholz legend" is another Trutnov legend, associated with the town hall building.
Krakonošovo nám. 72
541 01 Trutnov